Hi! My name is Bryan Willson Berry and I have a lot of opinions and even more questions. This website is my platform to share those opinions and to provoke questions from you, the reader.
I am a professional software engineer currently living in Bangkok, Thailand with my wife and two children. I am American by birth but by a series of accidents have lived the last 17 years in Tel Aviv, Hong Kong, Kathmandu, Rome, and now Bangkok.
I grew up in lovely Whittier, CA but left at age 18 to explore the world. I sometimes think that leaving was a mistake. Whittier is a beautiful and special place.
I am fascinated by the nexus of finance and technology, particularly the potentially disruptive impact of blockchain technology on our global financial system.
Things I like
Books and lectures
I consume a lot of books, primarily in audio format. I primarily listen to non-fiction.
- Thinking, Fast and Slow This book has affected me more than anything else I have read in the last 10 years. If you haven't read this one, you should drop what you're doing and go read it now.
- Wild Swans - the story of China's disastrous 20th century told through the eyes of 3 generations of women in a single Chinese family.
- The Baroque Cycle
- 1491, New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
- 1493, the world Columbus created
- The History of Money - the best single book on the topic
- The Ascent of Finance
- A Man for All Markets - Amazing and inspiring life story of mathematician and hedge fund manager Edward O. Thorp who coincidentally grew up near my hometown.
- The Bitcoin Standard - I enjoyed it so much I wrote a review of it. It has some very annoying flaws, but is absolutely worth your time.
- Understanding Financial Markets - truly excellent introduction to our financial system.
- The Chinese History Podcast - Lazlo Montgomery does an amazing job
- Software Engineering Daily
- Noded an excellent show by Bitcoin maximalists